Six Winnipeg coworkers win $5 million lottery jackpot
WINNIPEG — A group of nursing home coworkers has won the biggest lottery jackpot in the province in over a year.
According to a news release from the Western Canadian Lottery Corp. and Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries, the group of six is taking home $5 million from the July 25 LOTTO 6/49 draw.
The winners include: Marie Saltel, Cheryl Norman, Karan Lajoie, Karen Roche, Tuan Anh Phan and Louise Pinel.
The day before the draw, Saltel bought the winning Quick Pick ticket at Dakota Family Foods, on St. Mary’s Road. She said this is a purchase she’s made for her coworkers every week for the ten years they’ve been playing together.
“Every Friday, my homework is picking up the tickets,” she said in the news release.
Saltel noted she checked the winning numbers online after the draw, but it was a bit of a struggle to get the rest of the group to believe in the win.
“At first I just couldn’t believe it, so when my son came home I asked him to check the numbers as well. Then when he confirmed I phoned Cheryl and told her – and she thought I was joking,” Saltel said. “Then everyone I told thought I was joking. But they believe it now.”
Saltel added this prize is especially meaningful after the group endured a stressful few months working at a nursing home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It’s just kind of a relief – you don’t have to worry so much about other things,” she said.
“It’s an easier feeling.”
She said she plans on using her share of the winnings to help out with her retirement, noting other members of the group will be using the money to help out their kids and work on home renovations.
This win is the biggest lottery win in Manitoba since a Winnipegger took home a $9.5 million LOTTO Max jackpot in June 2019.A group of nursing home coworkers have won the biggest lottery jackpot in the province in over a year.
Doing Business with Us
Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries offers WCLC products such as Lotto 6/49, Lotto Max, Scratch ‘n Win tickets and Sport Select. To sell these products you must be an approved Lottery Retailer. Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries also provides Breakopen tickets to Lottery Ticket Centres, Licensee and First Nations customers. Bingo Paper is sold to Licensee and First Nations customers having received approval through the Liquor & Gaming Authority of Manitoba.
For a complete list of WCLC Lottery products, please visit the WCLC’s website and click on “Games” to find your favorite game and a product description.
Bingo Paper and Breakopen tickets are also sold through Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Order Desk. To order this product you must have a license to do so approved by the Liquor & Gaming Authority of Manitoba (LGA). Visit the LGA’s website for information on how to apply.
Breakopen tickets are available in three price points with prizes ranging from $.50 to $500:
- 25¢ – Cabin Fever Criss Cross, Cool Cash Criss Cross, Zodiac, Slots of Fun
- 50¢ – Codename Criss Cross, Lucky Sevens Criss Cross, Winners Circle, Call of the Wild, Amazing 8’s, Card Shark
- $1 – McPhillips Station Casino Criss Cross, Celebrate, Texas Hold ‘Em, Lucky Lines Criss Cross
Download the full list of available Breakopen tickets below.
Bingo Paper comes in various formats and colours:
- Permutations: 1-9,000, 9-18,000, 18-27,000, 27-36,000
- Champion Paper (random) – Singles Sheets, Booklets – 3TV, 6TV, 9TV, 12TV, 15TV in 5 page and 10-page booklets
- Perfect Paper (Mark 75 – all numbers from 1-75 appear) – 6TV, 9TV, 15TV 10-page booklets
- Mini-Paper (smaller Mark 75) – 3TV, 9TV and 15TV in 5 and 10-page booklets
- Bison Tear and Fold Paper (previously Bonanza) – Singles, 3TV in Blue, Gold, Green, Orange, Pink, Purple only
- Specialty Print – Lucky 7, Triangle, Purple Poker, Lucky Star, Green Winfall, Pick 7, Double Action
Download the full list of available Bingo paper below.Doing Business with Us Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries offers WCLC products such as Lotto 6/49, Lotto Max, Scratch ‘n Win tickets and Sport Select. To sell these products you must be an approved ]]>